Is this a Stock Your Apothecary? or Pantry? BOTH!
What is Manuka Honey?
This is honey from bees that feed off of the Manuka Bush in New Zealand. According to preliminary evidence and LOTS of anecdotal evidence… it is a most promising and potent ally in the healing world.
It is well known in New Zealand for:
- Soothing the digestive tract: the entire tract, from the mouth to the exit.
- Balancing Gut Flora
- Balancing Stomach Acids
- Soothing Skin that has sustained surface damage
- Eases the the symptoms of Seasonal Threats and improves the reaction over time
- Improves sleep
How to Spot a Quality Manuka Honey
In 1981, researchers at the New Zealand University of Waikato found that Manuka honey has a much higher level of enzymes than regular raw honey. It is these enzymes that help our body fight off specific threats, and there are a wide variety of honey strengths on the market, that may or may not have these extra factors.
Unique Manuka Factor (UMF)
What is UMF? A global standard in identifying and measuring the strength of Manuka. This is the label that tells us if the Manuka Honey will be strong enough to do what we are expecting it to do.
Minimum UMF rating recognized: UMF5
anything below a 5, is basically a standard honey… do not pay extra money for that quality.
UMF 4-9 Maintenance level with general honey health benefits
UMF 10-14 Supports natural healing and bacterial balance
UMF 15+ Superior levels of phenols that are highly therapeutic but shouldn’t exceed taking 1 tbsp at a time
Label Tip Offs that help you Spot a Genuine UMF Manuka Honey:
- prominent UMF trademark
- from a New Zealand UMF licensed company
- UMF company’s name and license number must appear on the label
- UMF rating number of 5-16+. THIS MUST BE PRESENT.
How to Take Manuka Honey
The desired dosage of Manuka Honey is 1-2 tablespoons a day. I routinely can handle about 1 tablespoon on a spoon, straight. Past that amount and I generally want to add it to something…. as sweet isn’t always my favorite.
Easy ways to add more:
- in your tea, once it has reached drinking temperature
- Toast. I spread it on Gluten Free toast and sprinkle with cinnamon
- added to plain yogurt
- add to smoothies
- make your own salad dressing. I make an amazing honey mustard dressing using manuka
- drizzle over berries
- drizzle on green apples and sprinkle with cinnamon